Sunday, January 1, 2012

School

As a type 1 diabetic in school, there are struggles. At times I have to sit out of a test due to my blood sugars, or I have to leave the classroom to go to the nurse. During sports I have to walk when I have a low, and sometimes I even have to miss the practice entirely. Luckily, I am a determined person. I participated in Cross Country and was able to become captain, during tests I always make time to retake them and I talk to my teachers about what I missed during class when I have to go to the nurse. Some may say that I am being responsible, which is a way of looking at it, but really, I am trying to defy diabetes. Even though it may put setbacks in my way, whose to say that just because I have those setbacks, means I can't overcome them just like everyone else? Every day I exercise, even on days when I feel sick due to my blood sugars. On those days I reach deep within myself and ignore my diabetes for however long I need. I may be exaggerating just slightly, but some days, my life feels exaggerated. Some days my blood sugars are so bad that all I want to do is sit on my couch and stare at the wall. On days such as those, school can be a real challenge. Some days I go to school wishing I could be anywhere else in the entire world, and people notice. My teachers, friends and classmates all ask if I'm alright, and to each person I give the same answer: "I'm fine." Sometimes I don't feel fine, but people don't always understand how to react to me. They get worried that something is a big deal, when to me it's the smallest thing. Learning how to communicate with teachers and classmates as I grow up and am taken more and more seriously, is definitely something new, and if I'm going to be honest, sometimes annoying. However, it must be done. Instead of being dramatic all the time as I have grown up doing, I have to become more and more realistic when it comes to my diabetes. I can't always complain about being tired or low. I learned quite recently that I should always be prepared on field trips because the school nurse can't be responsible for everything anymore. It's scary having people worry and not understand, and I'm not used to it since my family knows nearly as much as I do about diabetes. When I tap my finger, they understand that I need to do a finger prick, and they understand words such as "meter", "strip" and "ketones". At school, I can't rely on people to know what those things mean.
Even though I love school, or enjoy school,  it has it's challenges, and as I grow up, I am beginning to learn that it doesn't have to be a nuisance for my diabetes, it can just be another adventure.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome and brave writing. I like the honesty and look forward to reading and learning more from you.

    ReplyDelete