Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Normal

A few weeks ago I went to a weekend diabetes camp. It was one of the biggest reliefs I have had in a long time. If you can imagine the feeling of having exercised, showered, read a book, walked the dogs, gone grocery shopping, cleaned the house and done everything that needed to be done in one morning. That afternoon will probably be a big relief because you know you don't have to worry or stress over the things that you just finished. It could also be a feeling similar to one on the last day of school before summer break, when you've just taken four tests and the bell had just rung. If you multiply that feeling of relief by 10, that would be what I felt like. Everyone at the camp knew what it's like to go through life every day with diabetes, and have to carry it on your shoulders without every stopping to take a rest. Even the people who didn't have diabetes, still understood extremely well. When I would tell my counselors I had a low or high blood sugar, they'd know exactly what I meant. Same with the campers. All of the kids at the camp knew exactly what I am going through. My friends and I exchanged stories about the things we hate most about diabetes. Even though it might seem like a very sad conversation, it was actually extremely entertaining to hear some of the crazy things people have gone through with diabetes. It reminded me that I'm not the only one dealing with this crazy thing. And, honestly, it was just a relief to get away from my every day routine. I was able to go on a ropes course, and while we were walking out the door to go there, a counselor handed out little baggies of carbs in case we needed them. There was a huge container of juice waiting for when we got there as well because every kid there had type 1 diabetes, just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment