Friday, May 25, 2012

Wonderful

Everyone has those moments when they want to be a superhero. I know I've had plenty. That moment when you feel like you want to put on your cape and mask and conquer the world, but no one knows it's you whose doing it. And, especially, (I'm almost positive that everyone has those moments) when if they don't want to be a superhero, they at least want to be able to look great in a superhero suit. I've had all of these moments. Several times. And sometimes I get tired. So tired of wanting to be something I'm not. I know that personally, I won't every look like Wonder Woman. I won't ever have her strength or confidence. But frankly, reader, if I am ever as strong as Wonder Woman, or if I ever look like her, I give you permission to be worried because thats not me. If I were to choose between being healthy or looking like Wonder Woman, I would choose to be healthy, and I am working my butt off to be healthy and to feel like Wonder Woman if not look like her. Growing up I have been exposed to so many different awesome things. I've travelled to Europe, Mexico, the Dominican Republic, the Carribean, and soon, I will have travelled to Africa. I've read hundreds of books, seen hundreds of great movies and plays. I have participated in many sports, and have written many stories. I've received high honors in school (all A's) and I've met so many great people and grown up in a family that has supported me, loved me, been angry, annoyed and frustrated with me. A family that has stuck close to one another and a family that has always been there for each other. My life is full of joy, and full of sadness. Full of health and full of not-so-much health. Full of smart moments, and God knows full of dumb moments that I wouldn't trade in for the world. My life is full to the brim. Heck, my life has exceeded the brim and overflowed many times over. The point is that I don't need to look like Wonder Woman to be happy, no one does. If you do look like Wonder Woman, I envy you and congratulations, that is very impressive. But not me. I will be impressive in other ways. I will impress people when I perform my flute. When I smile. When I wake up at 7am on marathon day to start my relay team in running a 26.2 mile marathon(of course, I will only be running 3.1 miles but it's going to feel like 26.2). I will impress people with my writing(hopefully), my reading out loud, my grades, my life accomplishments, my family that seemingly never stops supporting one another. I will impress people with my control. My control of diabetes. Yes, I will have highs and lows, just like my diabetes will. I will laugh, and I will cry. I will run 5 miles, and I will sit on my couch watching Modern Family reruns. But I will overcome every sad moment and replace it with two happy ones. Because I may not be Wonder Woman, but I can still be wonderful.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Merrick,

    I was wondering if you accepted any guest posting on your site. I couldn’t manage to find your email on the site. If you could get a hold of me at jeff@drugwatch.com, I would greatly appreciate it!

    Thanks,
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete